Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: some beginner questions

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Starjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2001
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Long story short...

    I have a stack of screenplays (about 12) that I have been working on and now want to put to film. I passed a couple off to a relative of mine to look over. He liked them and offered to pass my scripts off to some contacts he has in LA. However, I declined because I'd much rather put it to film myself. The only problem is that I spent all my time learning about screenwriting, and don't know much of anything about directing.

    Currently, I'm a grad student (in a non-film related field), and work a part time job. Even with all this, I've had plenty of free time to learn about screenwriting. Now I'm willing to take some time away from developing my writing to learning to direct, though my grad student/part time job wages barely cover the necessities, so I'm on an extremely limited budget for gear or classes (that's partly what made it easy for me to write...it was free biggrin)

    I intend to look into the film department at my university for some help in learning about directing, but they have a reputation of being generally unsupportive to outsiders.

    Can anyone give me some advice as to how I would get the skills I need to competently direct my screenplays?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    ------------------

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    try learning emotional detachment

    i think tarantino funded dogs with money made from selling his scripts to others (the one that tony scott directed which title eludes me)

    ------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

  3. #3
    Inactive Member the big lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2000
    Posts
    52
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It was True Romance, and damn fine it is too.

    The Dude

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Inactive Member ac_01's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 18th, 2001
    Posts
    226
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    thats my exact same story...i'm at uni doing a non-film degree and have just started getting into film. i've started a screenplay and am looking to do some extra screenwriting courses. The thing is i'm not sure whether to do film full time or keep it on the side?

    ------------------
    There can be only one.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member chatterbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2001
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey ac_01

    The Birkbeck college do an excellent evening class in screenwriting. There's probably a 20 week intro class starting in January so if you're quick you might be able to get yourself on it, and they're very reasonably priced (I'm not an employee!)

    This is in London, so no help to you Starjob I'm afraid.

    I found that I learnt the basics, but the best bit was meeting like minded people and getting critical feedback from people who aren't wellwishing mates, or your mum.

    Good Luck, hope you decide to enrol.

    Chatterbox out.

    ------------------
    Imagination is more
    important than knowledge
    - Einstein

  6. #6
    Inactive Member chatterbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2001
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey ac_01

    The Birkbeck college do an excellent evening class in screenwriting. There's probably a 20 week intro class starting in January so if you're quick you might be able to get yourself on it, and they're very reasonably priced (I'm not an employee!)

    This is in London, so no help to you Starjob I'm afraid.

    I found that I learnt the basics, but the best bit was meeting like minded people and getting critical feedback from people who aren't wellwishing mates, or your mum.

    Good Luck, hope you decide to enrol.

    Chatterbox out.

    ------------------
    Imagination is more
    important than knowledge
    - Einstein

  7. #7
    Inactive Member chatterbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2001
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey ac_01

    The Birkbeck college do an excellent evening class in screenwriting. There's probably a 20 week intro class starting in January so if you're quick you might be able to get yourself on it, and they're very reasonably priced (I'm not an employee!)

    This is in London, so no help to you Starjob I'm afraid.

    I found that I learnt the basics, but the best bit was meeting like minded people and getting critical feedback from people who aren't wellwishing mates, or your mum.

    Good Luck, hope you decide to enrol.

    Chatterbox out.

    ------------------
    Imagination is more
    important than knowledge
    - Einstein

  8. #8
    Inactive Member chatterbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 15th, 2001
    Posts
    57
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    sorry about the multiple replies. I don't think mac's show up replies immediately. A problem Despin seems to suffer from quite a lot.

    Chatterbox out.

    ------------------
    Imagination is more
    important than knowledge
    - Einstein

  9. #9
    Inactive Member BuBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2001
    Posts
    85
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    if you want to put it to film just do it. Get a camera and do it. You could always sell one or two scripts to fund yourself and then try yourself. I wouldnt get ant training the fresh approach is always so good to watch.

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •